Students who graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Health Services Administration have numerous postgraduate opportunities. The HSA program at JMU emphasizes preparedness of its students to begin work in the industry upon graduation. There are many entry-level positions in various health care settings for HSA graduates to pursue.
Recent First Positions Held and Work Settings of HSA Graduates Include:
- Account Manager, HMO
- Accreditation Programmer, Hospital
- Administrator, Nursing Home
- Billing Specialist, Medical Group Practice
- Consultant, Consulting Firm
- Director of Activities, Assisted Living Firm
- Financial Analyst, Hospital
- Manager, Service Excellence, Hospital
- Marketing Coordinator, Hospital
- Data Analyst, Consulting Firm
- Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, Pharmaceutical Company
- Quality Assurance Coordinator, Hospital
- Practice Manager, Group Practice
- Director of Quality Assurance, Assisted Living Firm
- Office Manager, Medical Group Practice
Another option available to HSA graduates is that of graduate education and the pursuit of a master’s degree in health services administration or a related field, such as business. It is recommended, however, that students gain experience in the industry through employment in a health services organization before looking into graduate school options.
The earnings of health service managers will vary by the size, type and location of the facility, the level of responsibility assumed by the employee, and employee experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (2017-2018), employment of medical and health services managers is projected to grow 20%, with median annual wages of $98,350.